"Mustelid Trapping" publication
In response to a strong request from the Mustelid Workshop held on the Otago Peninsula in August 2000, the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust has produced a booklet, Mustelid Trapping Field Guide (first edition published 2003, 2nd edition 2005).
It is envisaged that this resource will be used as a starting point for trappers, and used in the field for those wanting to increase their skills and efficiency.
For private trappers beginning work on habitat protection, the booklet contains sections on mustelid biology, and the technical aspects of trapping. For the experienced trapper, the booklet contains ways of utilising standard recording procedures and an extensive reference section.
The Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust is optimistic that, as a result of this publication, more efficient methods of mustelid control can be achieved, and standardisation of data collection will give field workers accurate and consistent feedback and a wider picture of predator impact.
To order your copy of this booklet, see the publication catalogue.
This booklet was published with grants from the following organizations:
- Department of Conservation Biodiversity Advice Fund
- Shrimpton Animal Trust administered by The Public Trust
The Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust also wishes to thank the following:
- Lottery Grants Board for their donation for publishing this booklet
- Department of Conservation, Otago for endorsement
- The Ron Greenwood Environmental Trust for assistance with printing costs and promoting the book